National Poetry Month - April 2015
April is National Poetry Month and the Forest Lodge Library will celebrate with an evening of poetry on Tuesday, April 28th, beginning at 6:30 at the library. The featured reader for the evening will be Franco Pagnucci and the floor will be open to anyone wishing to share a poem or two following the featured reader.
Franco Pagnucci is a poet and a retired Humanities professor currently residing in the Barnes area. His recent poetry title, Tracks on Damp Sand was published in March of 2014 by North Star Press. In March of this year they published Pagnucci’s Breath of an Onion, a collection of Italian-American anecdotes. He will share work from these collections.
The best way to experience poetry is to hear it read, live. Take advantage!
MAKERSPACE - Fabric Printing
A MAKERSPACE event is all about learning a new skill or craft and can run the gamut from learning how to knit to building a robot. On Sunday, May 3rd, at a Forest Lodge Library MAKERSPACE event which will be held at the Cable Community Centre from 1-3, we’ll learn some basic skills for printing on fabric with textile inks.
Those participating are asked to bring a clean t-shirt to re-purpose into a new favorite by over-printing with a screen printed image and/or block-printed text. Alternately, bring a 20” by 20” piece of washed cotton which can later be sewn into a napkin, pillow or wall-hanging. Presenter Anna Carlson will show us how to use simple, hand-cut stencils, pre-made screens and block letters. Each person will also contribute to a random repeat pattern on a length of fabric that, when finished, will be made into special book bags for the library.
Anna Carlson is an artist and designer who uses textiles to explore self-identity and memory. Carlson holds a B.S. in fashion design and an MFA in graphic design, and her clothing collection has been sold nationwide. Her work is in the collections of the Minnesota Historical Society and the Goldstein Museum of Design and has been featured in The FiberArts book of Wearable Art, Threads magazine, and Ornament magazine. Although her full-time residence is in the Twin Cities, Anna and her husband own a home in the Cable area, where you might find her foraging for natural dye materials.
Forest Lodge Library Turns 90!
Cable's Serenity Spot
90 Reasons to LOVE the Forest Lodge Library... What's Yours???
- Beautiful memories of my Grandmother, Mother, Daughters and Granddaughter over many years of loving the Forest Lodge Library.
- The helpful, friendly staff.
- The best reading and viewing material selection in the area.
- an extensive natural history collection with field guides to help you figure out what that bird, mammal, plant or insect is.
- I love the Forest Lodge Library because I get the honor of working with the staff and all of our kind patrons. It is truly a dream job.
- I love all the helpful people! I LOVE books!!!
- Because it was my first library and it is the cutest one.
- It's rustic charm.
- I love the Forest Lodge Library because it is a resource for the entire community-love those librarians who seem to know the answer to everything!
- I love the Forest Lodge Library because... It's a perfect resource for just about everything, from where to find a dress maker to formulas on the string theory. Any book I want in the whole world is available including text books for MIT open classes. There was a quote on the wall there about wanting to throw ones arms around librarians ankles and thank them profusely for their dedication and work. I feel that every time I go in. Happy Library Month.
There's something delicious at the library!
As an ongoing fundraiser...never mind a community service...the Forest Lodge Library is offering delicious chocolate meltaway candy bars from Seroogy's Chocolates in De Pere, WI. We've offered two yummy flavors for a couple of years: milk chocolate covered with milk chocolate and mocha, covered with dark chocolate. NEW IN SUMMER 2014...almond meltaways. Now there are three fabulous flavors to choose from! Discover the chocolate that denizens of the Green Bay area have cherished for years....mmmmmmmmmm....meltaways!
Forest Lodge Library13450 County Highway M
P O BOX 176
Cable, WI 54821
The Forest Lodge Library, a joint library of the Cable and Namakagon communities, is located two blocks east of State Highway 63 on County Highway M in the beautiful northwoods of Wisconsin.