The Forest Lodge Library was founded and built in 1925 by Mary Livingston Griggs to honor her mother, Mary Steele Livingston. Mrs. Griggs envisioned a Community House in downtown Cable, a place that would combine the functions of library, community meeting centner and public rest room. The building was constructed of logs cut and milled off the Griggs' Forest Lodge estate on nearby Lake Namakagon.
Later named the Forest Lodge Library, the building is now the oldest log cabin library in the state of Wisconsin. the building was named to the National and State Register of Historic Places in the year 2000.
When the Cable Natural History Museum was established in 1968 the library and the museum merged and operated under a single boarded funded by the Mary Livingston Griggs and Mary Griggs Burke Foundation. In 1992 the library established its own Board of Trustees and became a fully functioning public library.
In January of 2007 the Town of Namakagon joined the Town of Cable making the Forest Lodge Library a joint library.
Many of the original library fixtures...the half-log bookshelves pegged into the walls, the long pine-plank table and the stone fireplace are still present and still in use.
Visit the Forest Lodge Library ... where the future resides in the past.